The history of Carrot River is a story of courage and triumph over almost
insurmountable odds. The name is derived from the wild carrots growing along the
river, which in 1911 the first homesteaders crossed and then settled on the north
bank. Settlement was slow until the CNR railroad reached the Carrot River site in 1931 bringing southern
farmers seeking new locations away from the great drought on the prairies. The land
was wet and heavily wooded. Every acre had to be won the hard way, with axe and sweat.
Conditions improved through intervening years with drainage and road
building. Carrot River became a Village in 1941 and incorporated as a Town on April
The 1960's brought rapid change through implementation of modern
facilities to Town and farms alike. Electricity, natural gas, water and sewer systems, paved highways, telephones
and modern homes all contributed to living conditions equal to anywhere.
In 1963, the first development of hydro electricity in Saskatchewan was
constructed on the Saskatchewan River, and Squaw Rapids (renamed E.B. Campbell) 50 kms
north of Carrot River. This project created Tobin Lake, an excellent fishing and
The 1980's saw the installation of street paving in Town and the
construction of many new facilities including hospital, skating arena, curling rink,
community hall, seniors housing, library, municipal offices and R.C.M.Police detachment.
2002 saw the completion of a $3 million renovation and expansion of our long-term care
facility to create a multipurpose Health Centre.
In 2002 the Town and Rural Municipality of Moose Range #486 purchased the
former hospital building from the North East Health District. The community invested
over $100,000 to convert the building to an "Active Living" public housing
facility for seniors, now called Pasquia Place.
To compliment this new infrastructure, corporate and private investment has
steadily grown in Carrot River in the 1990's. Viterra and Pioneer Grain
Company Ltd. have completed a $1 million improvement to their plants in recent years.
Viterra in 1999 opened a new $3.8 million high volume elevator complex in Town.
Viterra plans another $1.8 million investment to expand its facilities in 2010.
Weyerhaeuser, the community's single largest employer, had a $14 million
plant upgrade in recent years. In June, 1999, Weyerhaeuser Company announced plans to
acquire SaskForest Products. This transaction makes the Carrot River plant a part of one
of North America's largest forest product companies. On January 3, 2007,
Weyerhaeuser closed its sawmill operation in Carrot River. As of September
2009, C & C Products Ltd. of Quesnel, B.C. have purchased this site and will be doing
renovations in 2010. In 2012, C&C Products Ltd. sold the mill to Edgewood Forest Products.
Two major seed processing operations serving the northeast agri-industry are
located in Carrot River.
The second, which specializes in forage seed products, opened in 1998.
Premier Horticulture. Inc. harvests horticultural peat, a decayed organic
matter and the forerunner to coal, and ships this product around the world at the rate of
$2 million bales per year. Expanding markets have dictated further plant expansion
in Carrot River in recent years.
The tourism industry is bolstered by the discovery of Big Bert, the skeletal remains of a
92 million-year-old crocodile, near the Pasquia Regional Park, (located 10 kms south of
the Town of Carrot River). This is the first to be found in North America.
This strong and stable history of growth will serve Carrot River
well as it prepares for the challenges and opportunities of the future.